Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Welcome #SOL17 Day 1

Welcome!

One word that says so much. 


Welcome! 


A new month, a new trimester, new classes, new students. 


All are welcome! 


That's the promise of public education. 


I sensed this same feeling of openness, of being welcome last week while in Madrid, Spain as the EF tour bus I rode in to the Presidential Palace passed a public building with a huge banner hoisted across its facade. 


REFUGEES WELCOME! 


Can you see it in the upper right-center area of this photo I snapped through the bus window?

REFUGEES WELCOME!

I long to see my country open its arms once again and sing to the huddled masses this inclusive message.

Welcome. It's no longer a roaring greeting beckoning the "huddled masses yearning to breathe free," but I still hear a wide whispering of

welcome.

But a wide whispering can collectively rise together in a crescendo that waves a banner for the world to see and hear. Our country may be less welcoming in its current incarnation, but we can each announce our "welcome" to all who seek refuge.

*Welcome to the annual March Slice of Life Story Challenge. I'll be posting daily through March 16; that day I'll be departing on a European vacation, but I'll make every attempt to share daily slices from the Mediterranean coast. I know I'll feel welcomed during my travels and hope you'll feel welcomed in this virtual space.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you find time to post as you travel Europe. I'd love to live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this line:But a wide whispering can collectively rise together in a crescendo that waves a banner for the world to see and hear.
    Amen!

    ReplyDelete