Thursday, March 9, 2017

I Baked: See the Box? #SOL17 Day 9

Still Life with Brownie Mix:
Original iPhone Photography

If you were to observe my baking skills these days, you'd find it difficult to believe I once decorated cakes for my children and other family members' birthdays. Some folks thought I had some mad skills and occasionally asked me to decorate their wedding cakes, a request I never accepted. I've always known my limited culinary skills can only fool some of the people some of the time. Perhaps I acquired this knowledge at age 10 when I jumped on my bicycle--after shoving a cake in the oven--and peddled away.

Still, I rarely have difficulty following the directions on the brownie box. Today, however, I misread the instructions and added three times more water and oil to the mix than I should have. Instead of panicking, I snacked on the runny batter and called my husband, who was on a errand to Costco to pick up a rotisserie chicken, and asked him to grab two more boxes of brownie mix. 

I specifically requested Ken purchase the "Triple Fudge," but our local store didn't have that flavor, so Ken brought home dark chocolate. The oil requirement differed between the two mixes, so I guesstimated how much more to add. I've never been one to adhere too closely to a recipe. 

I now have a huge pan of gooey brownies sitting on my counter. 

In an ironic twist of fate, as I write this post the show "How It's Made" is playing in the background, and the episode features the manufacture and packaging of School Safe Brownies! 

March marks the month-long Slice of Life Story Challenge.Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers team for sponsoringthis month's challenge and for promoting the writing life.

4 comments:

  1. This piece made me laugh! It sounds like something I would do in the kitchen!!! (And I actually did cake decorating in 4H when I was in high school. )Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenda, I also like to experiment with recipes. When people ask me what I put into my cookies or brownies, I answer, "A little of this and a little of that." I enjoyed hearing about your adventure with baking and found out a new piece of information about your cake decorating background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum...I do believe that I can smell those brownies from here in New Jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All you need is some ice cream and those gooey brownies will be just fine. Love the image of you shoving a cake in the oven and then peddling away at age 10 - funny!

    ReplyDelete