Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Exclamation Points in My Teaching Day #SOL17 Day 15

I shared the NYT obituary for Amy Krause Rosenthal with students in my general speech classes Wednesday. These students are currently preparing eulogies of teaches, a project I wrote about last spring, and AKR's death offered a sad but timely teaching moment.

After, I read Exclamation Mark! to the classes. I purchased the book because it's about a punctuation mark, and I thought it would offer a fun way to teach students about their unique ways of standing out from others as well as provide a fun lesson on the importance of punctuation. 

Certainly, Amy lived life with the full vitality of many exclamation marks. 

My day was punctuated by lots of exclamation points, mainly from the rush to get things done before leaving on spring break. 

For teachers, however, the real excitement, the professional exclamation points, arrive as students. Today offered many stand out moments. Here are a few:

  • My Communication 1101 students delivered the best first day of speeches ever. I heard informative speeches about 
    • the history of makeup
    • eyebrow abrasion
    • cockroaches
    • Toni Morrison
    • CTE: Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy
    • Buddy Holly
    • Celiac disease and 
    • Trombones (technically delivered Monday)
  • My AP Literature and Composition students peer evaluated their As I Lay Dying and Song of Solomon essays using the "Way to Go/Way to Grow" strategy I taught earlier this year. I eavesdropped on their conversations and am amazed at their perception and honesty in critiquing one another, as well as their reflections on their own writing as they read their papers to their groups. 
  • I ate dinner at school with some colleagues and administrators who all stayed late to assist incoming freshman with registration for the 2017-2018 school year. During our time with next year's ninth graders, I met some lovely young people and their parents and enjoyed the company of some of my colleagues. 
In teaching, we find lots of little ways each moment and each student stands out from the rest. 

Breanna and Abby arrived prepared to deliver
their speeches wearing matching skirts.













6 comments:

  1. I love this book and looked for my copy when I heard of her death and can not find it:(
    What a great way to recall your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! I read this to my sixth graders and they always love it. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many writers are sharing tributes to Amy. I'm in!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading about your full and meaningful day - exclamations all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of AKR's books I'm unfamiliar with. Your post makes me realize I have to change that. Thanks for sharing about it and about your students' speeches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is powerful. Love your thoughts about the exclamation points in your day - and this line, especially, "For teachers, however, the real excitement, the professional exclamation points, arrive as students." So true! Oh, I am so sad about AKR.

    ReplyDelete