Sunday, March 12, 2017

Color Your World with Writing Slices #SOL17 Day 12

“Did you ever want to be a writer?” “No,” she said, and she would have told him. “I only wanted to be a reader.” Ann Patchett, Commonwealth.
After seeing the Libra Bray meme featuring slices of oranges posted on today's TWT blog call for Day 12, my mouth tingled and I thought about slices, a variety of delectable slices of writing that feed my soul when I'm tired, exhaustion born from Saturday's marathon of writing and editing. 

Having a slice of time stolen by a return to Daylight Saving Time, I decided I'd simply slice slices and feature them this Sunday. 

When I write, I see lemons. 
Sometimes when others read my writing, they taste lemonade.

I have a list of "50 Blog Post Ideas" for when the cacophony of thoughts 
clanging in my head, begging for a slice, go silent and abandon me for neglecting them.

A blog post, by its very nature, embodies green. It's an idea quickly penned, 
often the first thought that enters my mind as I open this platform, 
as when I hurry to dress after hitting snooze three times too often.

How often do I eat a pomegranate? Rarely. Yet when I do, I wonder why 
I don't more often. For me, writing is like that. I
 don't write often enough and wonder why when 
I write something that works.

When I dig into an idea, inspired by markings notched in my mind, 
occasionally a splatter of genius gobsmacks me and the words work magic.

I'll never understand how one idea can take on many hues. 
Words do it, too.

Kiwi writing is my specialty. 
Thoughts full of fuzz await peeling. 

I'm hunched over ideas, picking them from the black keys touching my fingers. 
These ideas remind me of the migrant workers I knew in Arizona.
Their hands bent toward the fruit in a permanent arc, the pain of which
refuses to ease its hold. I feel that way when pecking at these keys I ask to yield the fruit of words.

If you plan words, they might yield Honey Crisp apples. 
Ask Johnny Appleseed.

Some ideas can't be sweetened with fluff. 

I prefer tomatoes to ketchup the way 
I prefer the classics to popular romance. 

Sometimes all the right words gather in a line, 
and I can't resist sampling every one.
The way words connect to form a whole 
reminds me of the ways slices form a community of writers. 

*This month I've struggled with what often feels like the "duty" of writing. I have not felt contentment or satisfaction from my participation in the #SOL Story Challenge. I've thought daily about quitting and have had to push myself to remember that writing is in no small way a solitary, self-indulgent enterprise. I don't know if anyone will read this post, but I do know writing it was for me cathartic after a day of obligatory writing born from professional responsibility. That alone makes this a fruitful slicing moment. 
March marks the month-long Slice of Life Story Challenge.Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers team 
for sponsoring this month's challenge and for promoting the writing life.


8 comments:

  1. Someone read it! I enjoyed your illustrated foodie journey through slicing. It is interesting how different images incubate different ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thoughts and images are refreshing, your words encouraging and true. It's a slice of the writer's life, indeed! Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious post! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I particularly enjoyed how you matched an image with a thought.
    Please keep slicing - I'll be coming back for more.
    http//:wordsmithing2017.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how this all folds together. The images are delicious too. I enjoy reading what you write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treat for the senses! I loved the visual appeal of all those slices, imagining the sweet or sour taste of them all, the way they must smell so fresh, and feel so juicy. Lovely! And the way you connected them all to writing? Brilliant! I really enjoyed this slice. Don't stop writing! I, too, have gotten discourage a time or two this month, but I'm determined to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I loved this. Such a sweet take on slices. I am surprised by your words that you have "not felt contentment or satisfaction from my participation in the #SOL Story Challenge" - your writing is always such a shot in the arm for me! I appreciate your perspective, love reading your take on things. So, know that your writing is like your lemons - for me it is lemonade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you'll see this response, Maureen, but I was disillusioned by the directive to scroll through posts rather than comment two down, one up to meet the three comments daily. There are some blogs, like yours, I always try to visit, but I've also commented on some I've never visited every day. I have no right to expect reciprocation; however, sometimes I see what I call "drive-by" posts. These are slices that remind me of kids who hand in a paper to get a grade but did little to earn it, and these are adults. I've decided I won't participate while on my trip but will wait until after to share my experiences. I don't want to feel as though I have to post. I do try to write something I'd be willing to read if I were passing by this blog. Now, I need to read and comment; I'm headed your way!

      Delete
  7. I read and I enjoyed. The discipline of commitment is necessary if writing skills are to develop, even when the writing will be for one's own self-indulgence. And so, as I tell myself, Write on; stay with this community of writers!

    ReplyDelete