Tuesday, May 3, 2016

PROM DATE: Creative Ways Students Pop the Question #SOL16

Each Tuesday the team at Two Writing Teachers
hosts the weekly Slice of Life story challenge. Other
slicers have shared moments from their lives on the TWT blog. 
Among high school students, prom serves as a rite of passage. Finding a date to prom once involved a simple phone call or a note posing the question: "Want to go to prom with me." 

Those days of a simple question followed by a simple answer passed long ago. Over the years I've seen elaborate ways students ask one another to prom. 

This year my AP Lit and Comp students have made finding a prom date a major point of discussion during lunch. I admit to interjecting my opinion into the prom date who will go with whom discussion these past two weeks. 

Today, however, I witnessed my favorite prom date solicitation, and it's a simple one compared to the moms visiting my classroom and helping their teens find dates. The fellow popping the question did get a little help from a student in the class. 

Here's the set-up, which faced the door as students entered so that the recipient could see it first thing: 

The letters, of course, spell out PROM. The first note reads: "You read about it in books. A girl with good looks." The second page reads: "You're a sight to see. Wanna go to prom with me." Signed "Danny." 

This literary nod makes my heart happy, especially since the books are among some fantastic ones, two by Isabelle Allende, one a book of poetry. Barbara Kingsolver's Flight Behavior is there, too. I didn't have a chance to see the other two. 
Taylor, the recipient of this prom proposal.
No matter how this prom story ends, another story awaits us between the covers of a good book. 

7 comments:

  1. WOW! It sounds like it might make an already stressful endeavor even more so to come up with an idea like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an inventive way of asking someone to the prom! It seems to have become such an elaborate thing these days, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an inventive way of asking someone to the prom! It seems to have become such an elaborate thing these days, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post certainly brought back memories! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really awesome to have an invite through books! I know his English teacher was beaming! What fun to be a part of all these budding courtships and romances...a very different world from preschoolers. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this invitation especially for the nod to books. I hope she said yes. From some of the stories I hear these days, this seems like a simple invitation. Others are much more elaborate. While it looks like a lot of fun to do, I would think a fancy invitation puts a lot of pressure on the asker when sometimes just doing the asking is already pressure enough. I've heard in some places that a fancy invitation is the rule, not the exception. I wish that weren't so. So it could be fun for those who want to do it, but not a stigma for those who don't.

    ReplyDelete