Monday, April 18, 2016

Onomatopoeia: How Can We Celebrate the Sounds of Spring? #AtoZChallenge Letter O

During April I'm participating in the A to Z blogging challenge.
Each day, sans Sunday, offers an opportunity to write about a
letter of the alphabet with the goal of writing 26 posts.
April is also National Poetry Month.
Spring blooms bring the sounds and sights of insects and birds. To celebrate O, and its onomatopoeic sounds, and to remind myself and others to care for the bees buzzing and humming among wild flowers and nursery plantings, I'm posting one of my favorite onomatopoeic poems.

I love the puns and word-play in the poem as well as the sounds inherent in it. This week when I teach onomatopoeia as an interpretive skill in my speech classes, I'll have students "play" with Larios's verse. 

We'll talk about how they can "show" buzzed, bedeviled, fuddled, and other words. We'll talk about the word play in Bee reaved and what they can do with that phrase. 

Students will scratch their heads in confusion and work through the poem to created a choral presentation of it. This is a close reading activity to get students out of their desks and onto their feet. As does Bee, my students will dazzle as they buzz. 

What Bee Did by Julia Larios

Bee not only buzzed.
When swatted at, Bee deviled,
Bee smirched. And when fuddled,
like many of us, Bee labored, Bee reaved.
He behaved as well as any Bee can have.

Bee never lied. Bee never lated.
And despite the fact Bee took, Bee also stowed.
In love, Bee seiged. Bee seeched.
Bee moaned, Bee sighed himself,
Bee gat with his Beloved.

And because Bee tokened summer
(the one season we all, like Bee, must lieve)
Bee also dazzled.

Wiki Image labeled for Non-commercial reuse.


No comments:

Post a Comment