Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Exhaustion: Why am I Always Tired? #A2ZChallenge Letter E #SOL16

I saw a meme on Facebook that sums up how I feel these days: 
The meme should say, "I've been tired since 1984" because that's the year my first child arrived. 

No worries, there is a somee card to commemorate the exhaustion that accompanies a new baby. 
Unfortunately, exhaustion is a serious problem and can lead to these thoughts: 

Chronic sleeplessness has some serious side effects, as noted on WebMD: 

  • Industrial Accidents: The 1979 Three Mile Island Accident was caused by sleep deprivation.
  • Cognition suffers when we're sleep deprived.
  • Sleep deprivation can lead to health problems, such as weight gain and heart disease to diabetes and high blood pressure.
  • Sleep deprivation can have a negative impact on libido.
  • Lack of sleep can cause depression.
  • Skin suffers when we don't get enough sleep.
  • Memory suffers when we're sleep deprived.
  • Lack of sleep can decrease life expectancy.
  • Sleep deprivation has a negative impact on judgment, including the way we see our sleep needs. 
Burning the candle at both ends works in poetry, but my pragmatic nature tells me I need some ZZZZZZs! 

First Fig by Edna St. Vincent Milay

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh my friends--
It gives a lovely light!

*How well do you sleep? Do you have any tricks for ensuring a good night's sleep?




6 comments:

  1. I don't sleep well when I have a lot on my mind and my to do list so clearing off some of those things during the day really helps my next night's sleep I find! I totally salute you for having been a teacher since 1981 - you should surely have been given the key to a small city by now for your dedication to your students and schools!!
    Pempi
    A Stormy’s Sidekick
    Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have meditation mp3s and some music that's soothing. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I will put in earbuds and listen. Honestly, when my brain is too busy, I'll even listen to news radio, which seems to switch off the ticking to-do list for long enough that I can fall asleep, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel Glenda, though I don't have kids, but do have 5 dogs and a husband who keep me on my toes. Each night I am exhausted, falling asleep where ever I am, in a book, on the computer,... I don't have very many sleepless nights, (the exhaustion makes sure of that) but no matter how much I sleep I can't seem to outdo the exhaustion.
    A couple of things that I have found that help me (but that I don't follow or do everyday) is to plan sleep just like I plan everything else. Make going to bed a ritual, I wash up, cream, settle in bed and read, etc. It helps me sleep better.
    But most days I just fall into the bed at night. ;)
    @freya3377 from Life as Freya - http://blog.fatema.in/

    ReplyDelete
  4. About 10 years ago, for a few years, I had massive exhaustion and didn't have any kids. Just a husband. I was tired all the time, and started taking B vitamins and getting B vitamin shots. Helped a little, not much. often insomnia. Started slowly, bit by bit, eating healthier and healthier, selling the microwave, cleaning up my diet, doing a detox, minimizing processed foods, getting healthier cooking oil (not the vegetable oil in the store which is very polluted), bit by bit, and year by year felt better and better. Sadly, I think many foods in the grocery store and restaurants are not good for you, and as I've grown more of my own veggies or buy from farmers markets, my health has improved. I went to the Center for Food Safety - fantastic nonprofit, and they shared that the EPA has increased the allowable level of pesticides 20 x in the last 5-6 years. We have more pesticides in our foods than ever before! I've also heard more and more people developing an intolerance to fructose, which is in many foods, and can lead to extreme exhaustion. Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I struggle with this, too. No good advice to share, unfortunately!

    Yvonne V

    ReplyDelete
  6. I struggle with this, too. No good advice to share, unfortunately!

    Yvonne V

    ReplyDelete