Friday, April 1, 2016

Ask: Why Question? #AtoZChallenge Letter A

From the pragmatic to the philosophical, we live in a world of questions: 

"Hey grandpa, what's for dinner?" 
"What should I wear to work?"
"Who will be our next president?"
"What is the meaning of life?"

When I decided to participate in the A to Z blogging challenge 2016, I eschewed the notion of choosing a theme, but I also desired an organizing structure. Thus, I contemplated: 

What theme should I choose? 
Should I have a theme? I questioned. 

Epiphany! 

Through the act of critiquing the merits and demerits of a theme, I realized life is full of questions. 

Consequently, I thought...

Why not pose essential question? 

After all: 

I teach students to ask essential questions when reading.
I teach students to ask essential question when writing. 
I ask questions that I'll explore as I seek meaning in an often confusing world. 

Advertisers have long known that asking consumers questions leads to sells and that sometimes consumers don't know the questions until an ad campaign asks them. Mental Floss featured a segment called  "18 Memorable Ad Questions." 

I'd forgotten that at one time I wondered: 

Where's the beef?
Can you hear me now?
How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie-roll center of a tootsie-pop?

This month I'll ask a question for each post and base that question on a word corresponding to the day's letter. 

I have lots of questions about many topics, and the more questions I ask, the more I have. 

Ask: It's the best way to find the answers.

Any Questions? 


Image via Google Images:
Labeled for non-commercial reuse.

10 comments:

  1. What an interesting idea! I, too, am an English teacher (High School); although I'm employed teaching music to primary children at the moment. I look forward to reading your posts! KRidwyn at KRidwyn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Kae. I wish I were musical because there is such a strong connection between literature and music.

      Delete
  2. Terrific theme! I'm still debating whether I'm in for another monthlong blogging or writing challenge. So torn.... Asking questions is mostly what I try to do in my work too--and teaching students how to ask questions. Such an essential part of our work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do join the A to Z challenge. Your blog is one I'd read every day. I look for those who push my writing, which you do.

      Delete
  3. Great idea! My theme is related to my business, making websites. My work involves exploring a lot of questions too! I look forward to reading more! :)
    @Kristina Farrow
    Being Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I LOVE your theme. Way to encourage curiosity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenda: I think questions are so much more interesting than answers, because questions raise the question of why someone is asking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes - I'm up for this theme - very intriguing and I love it when people ask questions as often you get very interesting answers :) Pempi
    A Stormy’s Sidekick
    Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite a different theme to go with.

    You have been minioned by Sheena-kay Graham
    Proud Minion of the Joy Brigade

    ReplyDelete