Wednesday, March 2, 2016

I Lost My Class/My Class Lost Me #SOL16 March 2, 2016

Thanks for joining me for the 2016 Slice of Life Story Challenge sponsored by the team at
TWO WRITING TEACHERS.  Check out more slices here. 
Nicolette had nearly finished the satisfaction step for her persuasive speech "Why Students Need to Do More to Prioritize School" when flashing lights and the blaring intercom pierced her eloquent presentation: 


MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE.
MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEAS.
THERE HAS BEEN AN EMERGENCY REPORTED.
PLEASE PROCEED TO THE NEAREST EXIT
IN A CALM AND ORDERLY FASHION...(REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT)

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" I moaned. 

Yet, I could not deny the cacophony. On the last day of the trimester, the day I needed to listen to persuasive speeches for 75 minutes straight without interruption, we were having a FIRE DRILL!

Students moaned in harmony with my groaning "NOOOOOOOO!" Nicolette's eyes looked like frisbees. I could see the "What now?" question she did not speak.

"Finish presenting your speech to me on the way out," I commanded to Nicolette. "Everybody out front next to Mariani." I pointed in the general direction as students exited the classroom." Nicolette and I left last. 

Leaning toward her, I listened as Nicolette spoke about a school that would resemble a utopia if students did more to prioritize learning. As she finished her call to action, we exited the building and headed toward the front parking area so we could line up next to my colleague Gino Mariani. 

I held the clipboard with my name plate high above my head and looked around for the other 28 students in the class, noting that we had one absent student, Coach Mariani's son. Nicolette got in line--a line of one. 

"Where's my class?" I questioned, looking around, up and down the line of teachers and students. "Hey, Dian," I shouted to my principal. "I can't find my class." 

Gino laughed.

"Where's your kid," BTW I asked.

"He's not in your class?" Gino's smile turned to a line as he began texting to locate his son.

After a few minutes, I admitted the obvious: I HAD LOST MY CLASS, or MY CLASS HAD LOST ME.

The ALL CLEAR whistle blew as a throng of students approached with outstretched arms, "Where were you?" They buzzed about who led whom out the wrong door. We meandered back into the building as student after student explained that they had followed Christian or Jamal or Amia or Chase or...none of whom knew where they were supposed to go! 

As the last student entered the room, our athletic director approached me. Laughing, he said, "I see what you're up against with that class." Then he walked away. 

*The incident chronicled above actually happened Thursday, February 24, 2016





9 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. Those speeches on the last day of a semester or trimester always get messed up. Even when I try to schedule an extra day, something mucks up my great plans.

    And trying to keep a class together during a fire drill? Herding cats comes to mind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those interruptions are the worst when you're in getting things done mode!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely an engaging and persuasive speech!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate fire drills! I get the importance of doing them, but they make me crazy. It's always ten minutes of trying to find everyone. To make it worse, our school doesn't go out with our classes. Students have to find their advisors! Yeah, that works every time. I love the irony of the speech on prioritizing learning as you all are scooting out the door during a fire drill. Oh, the irony!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh this made me laugh. I can picture you leaning in listening to her make her points as the crush of students is exiting the building. Oh, fire drills. Kids love em, teachers hate em.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh this made me laugh. I can picture you leaning in listening to her make her points as the crush of students is exiting the building. Oh, fire drills. Kids love em, teachers hate em.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so funny! Thank goodness it was a drill, right? For a minute there I thought you would get to the parking lot, turn to face the building and see flames. Glad that was not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to keep the learning go even during a fire drill. Sorry you lost your class though. Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am three inches of roots into my transformation to my white hair. The un-dyed hair is shiny, white, with a tiny gray in it, and I love it! Realized as I was sitting in the chair for what was usually three hours I couldn't afford, that I was ready and started the process that night. Surprisingly, my students (HS) like it, too. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete