Saturday, March 5, 2016

Extended Work Week #SOL16 Day 6

This weekend I'm in Boise for the state Poetry Out Loud competition. An added bonus is that I get to spend a little time with my granddaughter and her cat, which has a plethora of names, so I've decided he's Just Cat. 

Although I'm thrilled to see Kayla, Just Cat, and my grown children, and daughter-in-law, this trip has extended my work week and illustrates what teachers know intuitively: Our job lasts long after the last bell on any given day. 

The time I devote to POL is uncompensated, too. And that's true for nearly all who coach these students. In fact, I've had many unpaid positions in my career: cheer advisor, newspaper advisor, literary magazine advisor, speech coach (in Arizona), class advisor, among others. Most teachers know what it's like to take a position that comes with no supplemental pay. 

This week I've been fighting a cold that decided to kick into high gear Saturday, and it's midterm, and I just finished editing the latest edition of a newsletter for a state organization, and... This list seemingly never ends.

Still, for today, life slowed down and I basked in the harmonious recitations of poetry. The students all did an amazing job, and even though my student didn't win the competition, she left happy having made new friends and having presented her poems well. She's only a sophomore and is looking forward to next year and another POL experience. 
And even though no monetary compensation awaits those of us who support POL, we did receive a lovely certificate and recognition from Sarah Poe, our state coordinator who did a superb job organizing and hosting the event for the Idaho Arts Council.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely - and well worth your time, even though you are not paid. The look on your student's face in those pictures may just be payment enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a worthy event to be part of, even if you aren't compensated for it. PLUS, you got to see your granddaughter and Just Cat (whose name reminds me of the Just Grace books).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite thing about POL is the love of poetry, including classics, it fosters among students.

      Delete
  3. Oh, the things we do we are not paid to do! A long list! I am glad you got to see your granddaughter and her cat, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The things we do for love! I can tell you love what you do, and I'm sure your students love you for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this part: "life slowed down and I basked in the harmonious recitations of poetry" Thats the gift of poetry, isn't it? What a lovely day you had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this part: "life slowed down and I basked in the harmonious recitations of poetry" Thats the gift of poetry, isn't it? What a lovely day you had.

    ReplyDelete