Friday, March 25, 2016

A Visit with the Fishes at Hanauma Bay #SOL16 Day 25

I'm afraid of the water. I nearly drowned in a creek after falling off an air mattress when I was quite small, perhaps four or five. I've been afraid of water ever since.

Still, I work to confront and work through this H2O fear of mine. I learned to swim. I've tried water skiing. I've tubed on the river. I've canoed and kayaked, too. 

Getting in the ocean raises my fears to a whole other level. Not wanting to observe  others' fun, I will snorkel. 

Today I snorkeled in one of America's best snorkeling spots, Haunama Bay on Oahu. The dark spots in the picture is choral reef.
I swam with the fishes and had a marvelous time.  But before entering the bay, which is actually a nature preserve, visitors are required to view a video about the bay's delicate ecosystem and how to protect it. "Look, Don't Touch" is the rule all must obey.
The bay is a popular destination, so access is limited. We went with a tour company and had eight in our group, including a lovely family from Japan, and a couple fromVermont. The company privided us dry snorkels. If you've never used a dry snorkel, you'll want to next time you're in the ocean because they are fantastic, allowing no water to backwash into the snorkel.
I wanted to experience the moment, so I did not take pictures while in the water. I did see more than a dozen different types of fish pictured on the Haunama Bay fish card: 
I wish more students had the opportunity to experience earth's majesty by swimming with the fishes. Perhaps then we'd all do more to protect our fragile ecosystem. 

8 comments:

  1. How fun! Spending more time in the outdoors in general would help all of us to care more for our fragile ecosystem.

    And on a totally unrelated subject, each time you comment on one of my posts or I happen upon my post, I wonder - do you have Funk relatives that came through eastern PA? Because I do and it's not a very common last name. Any of these names sound familiar: John Funk, son of Abraham Funk, son of Henry Funk.....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to ask my husband about the family genealogy. Makes me want to do some family studies.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your post! I have snorkeled there as well and fell in love with the beauty the ocean has to offer! I so wish more children had the opportunity to see with their own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a fear of water, too - but your post reveals to me just how much I'm missing out. Wonderful pictures, too - so very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a fear of water, too - but your post reveals to me just how much I'm missing out. Wonderful pictures, too - so very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had so much fun! I've only snorkeled once (Florida Keys) and it was beautiful. Hawaii must be incredible snorkeling! I am still trying to figure out why you had an air mattress at a creek...there's a story there, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, there is s story, one that will have to await a different slice.

      Delete
  6. Sounds awesome! I would be so scared because like you, I'm afraid of the water. I never learned to swim. I pretty much avoid situations where I'd need to. But this sounds like an incredible experience.

    ReplyDelete