Saturday, March 7, 2015

Walk Your Art #SOL15 Day 7

March Madness continues as I walk my way through the Slice of Life Story Challenge this month. Thank you, Two Writing Teachers, for walking the art of writing. Today is day 7/31. 

Let's go for a walk. 

During our walk, we'll admire the wonder of art produced by high school students. We'll meet one of our artists' teachers. We'll celebrate the creativity of youth and take comfort in the beauty they have created. 

Our venue for today's gallery is the Pocatello Art Center. 


We're greeted by Carrie, my long-time friend and colleague at Highland High School. Recognizing the importance of a unique point of view, we're looking at the displays sideways in a selfie. 


As a discriminating art connoisseur, I've selected images of art from my students to begin our tour. Here we have two of Alexis's pieces. Alexis is a senior taking Communication 1101 with me.

I think I owned these shoes when I was in 7th grade!


Next a touch of nature from Lexi. This little critter pops with color and animation. Lexi is in English 12B with me, and I can't wait to see what creativity she brings to her senior project.


Amanda's little bird has intricate details. I can see it perched on a flowery branch nesting in my mind. It reminds me of the delicate strokes Melissa Stewart uses in illustrating You Nest with Me. I'm honored to have Amanda nesting in my room for English 12B this trimester. Amanda is currently reading The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt as she gathers inspiration for her independent reading project. 
Across town my fiend and occasional road biking partner Jennifer teaches art and has her students participate in the Memory Project, comprised of a series of portraits of children from third-world countries. During the summer, Jen travels to the children's homes and delivers the portraits to the children there. 



Each day I walk the educator's walk with friends, and occasionally we see each other in our sprawling building. From left: Carrie, art teacher; Candi, French and U.S. history, me w/ my eyes closed (oops), and Cheryl, library aide. 

 No matter where we are, we never really walk alone. 

Thanks for "walking" by today. 




21 comments:

  1. Your students are incredibly talented, Glenda! Thank you so much for sharing their gorgeous art with us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie gets the credit for teaching students art; I'm just the lucky English teacher who gets to know these talented students, too. I tell kids my artistic ability reach its pinnacle in 4th grade w/ a macaroni collage.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for playing the role of tour director. It added a deeper dimension to your post. Well crafted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Alan. I'm trying to mix up my blogging genres during the SOL challenge.

      Delete
  3. Such incredible talent! Thanks for sharing your words and your students' work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Preciate your kind words, Lee. I can't wait to tell the students about all the compliments they have received from those joining the art walk.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the walk. I love student art work. I think you learn a little bit about each one when you really look at their art. One of my speech students this year is sharing her love of zentangles at contest. She created a presentation that also has time lapse video of her drawing. So amazing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, that speech sounds cool. Is it an expository speech?

      Delete
  5. The art is stunning. Thank you for taking us on a walking tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. I like showing of student work. The world needs to see how fab our teens are.

      Delete
  6. What a fabulous walk! Love the sideways selfie. Very creative students and teachers! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always looking for an angle that makes me look younger and thinner!

      Delete
  7. Wow what lovely pieces! I can't even draw a stick person! My favorite is the one with the converse shoes...but then again, I am a Hoosier and it is basketball season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My artistic ability is also limited to stick figures. I did, however, manage to doodle a cup of coffee a few days ago.

      Delete
  8. I do much art with my students, and each of these offers ideas for them, along with just enjoying the beauty and creativity that students can achieve, Glenda. Thank you for sharing. I also love the idea of your friend who does the memory project with her students. What a marvelous thing for them that she offers. Love that ending line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of teaching English through art, too.

      Delete
  9. Such a super Post, Glenda. I love the bits of narration with each piece of art--feels stream of consciousness-like. Art making (in all its forms) is important.

    The closing 2 lines really resonate:

    "No matter where we are, we never really walk alone.
    Thanks for "walking" by today."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Ann. I had to write those lines to remind myself that even when I feel alone, I'm not.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for taking us on a walk! What talented students you have! And what a great way to structure a post! I might use your post as a mentor text for a future post, if that's okay with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I'm really flattered. Thank you. Of course I don't mind if you use this post as a mentor text. I've taken notes on some inspiring blogs myself. We learn from one another.

      Delete
  11. Oh, how I love an art walk! We try to go to our local art walk every time they have one. When we go on vacation we look for local artist shows and walks. What better way to tap into unique art to remember our trip.

    ReplyDelete