Sunday, March 22, 2015

#SOL15 Day 23: Mona Lisa [and Other Art] Make Me Smile


Today's SOL begins in England and ends in France.

"It's  not every day you get to wake up in England and go to sleep in France." Our guide Nucki's sage comment motivated 45 teens and adults to rise up and load the coach at 5:45 am for our Eurostar train ride through the Chunnel, for what was the best international point to point trip I've taken, excluding cruises.

Upon arriving in France, we traveled directly to the Louve. Of course we saw the Mona Lisa, but my nerd moment came when I saw what appeared to be the Geecian urn pictured in text books w/ "Ode on a Grecian Urn. Nicki told us it would take a hundred days looking at each of the 60,000 pieces of art in the  Louve only five seconds to see them all, and that's w/out taking restroom breaks or sleeping. 

We also visited Notre  Dame Cathedral and returned to the Latin Quarter after dinner.

5 comments:

  1. What a great trip! My daughter used to work at Shakespeare and Company! I love Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip! My daughter used to work at Shakespeare and Company! I love Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you, to be traveling Europe this season! The last time I was in Paris, I was 13 years old, and remember being supremely disappointed by the size of the Mona Lisa. :-) Would love to return as an adult; thanks for sharing photos from your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A grand adventure! Love the pictures and the Chunnel tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An incredible trip! Love your opening photo, hamming it up in front of the statue...so cool that you woke in England and went to sleep in France on same day.

    ReplyDelete