Monday, March 16, 2015

Half Way to Half Way, U.S.A.: #SOL15, Day 16

This month I'm participating in the Slice of life Blogging Challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers. Here's Day 16!

When I received the email for Day 16 of the Slice of Life Story Challenge, Betsy's reminder that today is the halfway point reminded me of a dot on the map. 

Halfway, Missouri marks the halfway point between Bolivar, Missouri and Buffalo, Missouri. Local lore says the town is so named because of its geography.

Halfway to Halfway, U.S.A.

I'm halfway to Halfway
Traveling the asphalt
Watching mile markers whiz by
Literal and metaphorical places
I recall...

Halfway Baptist Church
In Halfway, Missouri
Marks the halfway point 
Between Bolivar and Buffalo.

In college we joked that the congregation--
By virtue of the church's name--
Traveled halfway to heaven and
Could get no further than half the way.

Halfway Baptist in Halfway, Missouri
Searching images of Halfway, Missouri, 
I learn Halfway is a popular 
Name for small towns,
Halfway formed settlements.

Straddling geography
As though uncertain which way to go
West to Buffalo; East to Bolivar
A roundabout of the mind. 

Halfway, Kentucky is actually the name of three 
Places in Kentucky: 
Allen, Barren, and Calloway Counties 
All lay claim to Halfway. 

Halfway, Oregon boasts panoramic mountain vistas.

"HalfwayOregonskyline" by Finetooth - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HalfwayOregonskyline.jpg#/media/File:HalfwayOregonskyline.jpg

My thoughts often reach the halfway point 
Turn down a one-way blue highway in my mind,
Reaching their final destination:
Cracks emerge,
I've reached a
Cognitive DEAD END.






7 comments:

  1. Great post! I often say I love halfway between Memphis and St. Louis because it is true. I never knew so many places were named Halfway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you in Missouri? There might be more Halfways! I didn't have time to search.

      Delete
  2. Oh that ending is priceless...and i am so with you! Halfway, Oregon looks beautiful, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see I'm inept at poetry! I had cognition problems from the beginning.

      Delete
  3. Oh that ending is priceless...and i am so with you! Halfway, Oregon looks beautiful, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea there were so many towns named "Halfway"! Learning about them through your poetry was great. I love the church joke - "Traveled halfway to heaven and
    Could get no further than half the way."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Creative writing is not my forte. I'm much better at essays, particularly formal arguments.

      Delete