Thursday, March 12, 2015

Grounded from Reading: #SOL15, Day 12

This is Day 12 of the Slice of Life Story Challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers. 

Conversation with a Kyrstin, a Senior: 

"You know I love reading when I get grounded form books."

Kyrstin shared this anecdote after class today. She held a copy of Winger by Andrew Smith and we began talking: 

Kyrstin: "Mrs. Funk, I love this book. I stayed up until midnight last night reading."

Me: "How much have you read?"

Kyrstin: "About half." 

Me: "What do you love about the book."

Kyrstin: "It's hard to put into words, but I just love it. I love reading." 

Me: "Well, hurry up and finish. I haven't read it yet because it's always checked out." (Note: I should have read Winger last summer, Duh!)

Kyrstin: "Last year I got grounded from books because I was reading all night and then falling asleep in class."

Me: "Is it okay if I take a pic of you reading Winger and use it as my slice today?"

Kyrstin: "That would be great!"

Kyrstin graciously posed for this pic w/ Winger by Andrew Smith.


The bell rang. Kyrstin was late for her next class but didn't seem to mind. She's an aide and is probably in a corner of the room reading!

*Thanks, Andrew Smith, for writing books both girls and boys love. 


14 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this anecdote! I never know quite what to think or how to respond when kids tell me they have been grounded from their books. Granted, I do not have children of my own, but I have many of my own student "kids," and the concept still leaves me feeling a little unsettled.

    Also - Now I need to read Winger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was grounded from reading when I was younger, and looking back it was a good idea. I needed social interaction, physical work, and responsibility to be well adjusted, but without a limit I would have read instead of many things, missing out on essential parts of childhood. True though...there are many worse habits out there. :)

      Delete
    2. I was grounded from reading when I was younger, and looking back it was a good idea. I needed social interaction, physical work, and responsibility to be well adjusted, but without a limit I would have read instead of many things, missing out on essential parts of childhood. True though...there are many worse habits out there. :)

      Delete
    3. Sometimes students in my classes want to continue reading their independent read books when it's time to move on to something else. Telling them to put the book away is tough but necessary. It does, however, break my heart, and I tell them that.

      Delete
  2. Grounded from reading - so odd! Although I do remember hiding a few books for short times when my kids didn't complete other work they needed to do. Thats not really grounding is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grounding my students experience is always very short term. Kyrstin giggled when she shared the story, and having had others from her family in class, I know she comes from a family of readers.

      Delete
  3. Growing up, there were times I was not allowed to clean our book room and was grounded from books for the same reason. My grandma would sometimes smuggle in books when I wasn't allowed to get new ones. I can't pace my way through a book. I binge read then wish I had read it slower, then reread. I really have to be careful when I choose to start a new book even to this day so I don't neglect my adult duties. The addiction is real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to be grounded from cleaning! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Growing up, there were times I was not allowed to clean our book room and was grounded from books for the same reason. My grandma would sometimes smuggle in books when I wasn't allowed to get new ones. I can't pace my way through a book. I binge read then wish I had read it slower, then reread. I really have to be careful when I choose to start a new book even to this day so I don't neglect my adult duties. The addiction is real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect title! I was immediately drawn in. This is one of those uplifting slices that makes me want to come back and read more. It also makes me want to pick up some Andrew Smith books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene, thank you! I'm sending good vibes to Andrew Smith after he experienced some rudeness on social media that resulted in his deleting his Twitter and Facebook accounts. I specifically want to show that his books appeal to girls.

      Delete
  6. Awesome! Luckily my parents didn't ground me. Maybe that was because my AP Calc teacher didn't tattle. Love the captured conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the picture and the story!! I LOVED Winger and I highly recommend you read it immediately!!! It's one of those books that stayed with me. :) I think Andrew Smith is a genius! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping Kyrstin will finish "Winger" by Tuesday so I can read it on the plane to London next week.

      Delete