Saturday, March 14, 2015

Getting Comfortable: #SOL15, Day 14

This month I'm participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers. Today is Day 14 of 31. 

Is it possible to get comfortable on an airplane? 

I need to know because on Wednesday I will depart on a 13 day excursion "across the pond." The trans-Atlantic flight worries me. I'm not a fan of air travel, but I love to travel and visit new places. 

I'm rarely comfortable when flying, a mode of travel that feels dehumanizing for several reasons: 

  • No legroom.
  • Small seats.
  • Bad food.
  • Icky bathrooms.
  • Delayed flights.
  • Security protocols. 
More than anything else, my inability to get comfortable on a plane results from a ruptured disc in my back that I sustained a number of years ago. It doesn't keep me from getting up and going, but it does cause constant discomfort and often numbness in my left leg. 

To prepare for my trip, I visited Mary at Cielo Su Tera Day Spa so she could work her magic on my glutes. What was scheduled as a 90 minute massage turned into a 1:45 minute one. Had Mary and I realized her next appointment had cancelled, that massage would have turned into a two-hour one. 

I'm taking a tennis ball with me so I can roll out some of the knotted muscles after the flight and daily sight-seeing. I'm also taking a roller of muscle treatment for my legs. 

For the past decade, I've been getting regular massages, generally twice a month. Massage offers many benefits, so get comfortable and enjoy a massage.

Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons 



7 comments:

  1. You will be one relaxed passenger! I keep meaning to get a massage for just the reasons you so beautifully described - you leave feeling renewed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be one relaxed passenger! I keep meaning to get a massage for just the reasons you so beautifully described - you leave feeling renewed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love massages...and, wow, does that sound like a great one that you had! You should be well-prepared. Sounds like an exciting trip! Does this mean you'll be slicing from abroad? Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll post slices from the trip beginning March 18. It's an EF trip, but I'm not going as a chaperone. There will be some current and former students, w/ about half adults. We have 33 in our group, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of stories. My husband isn't going; I wish he were, but he said he didn't want to go "with a bunch of teenagers." That, of course, sounds like fun to me.

      Delete
  4. My husband has a ruptured disk in his back also. On our flight to Hawaii he kept getting up and walking around and also had a pillow that he kept under the leg that goes numb on him. That helped a lot. Next time, I'm bring a tennis ball for him though because I bet it would help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoga helps, too, Deb. I do it at home; I record "Power Mind and Yoga" on the PBS station. I have very short, tight muscles, but I love the stretching. Also, a foam roller, although quite painful, really helps, too.

      Delete