Friday, March 13, 2015

Back to Front Reading: #SOL15, Day 13


During March I'm participating in the Slice of Life Story Challenge sponsored by Two Writing Teachers. This is Day 13

Once upon a time two students, who were also best friends,  named Ashley and Aubrey disagreed about how to read a book. 

Aubrey's reading method bugged her friend. Unable to convince Aubrey that she should read her Nicholas Sparks book from front to back instead of peeking at the last page first, Ashley sought the assistance of her noble English teacher, Mrs. Funk.

"Mrs Funk, do you think it's a bad that Aubrey reads the last page of the book before getting to it?" 

Mrs. Funk's response that "It's your free reading. You can do what you want. I sometimes read the last page first, too" shocked Ashley.

"I just think it's a spoiler. Why would you do that?" Ashley crossed her arms and awaited a response. 

Then Aubrey replied, as her classmates looked on and listened: "It gives you hope and anticipation. Just reading the very last page sometimes doesn't make sense, but it gets you thinking about what will happen."

Continuing her argument for looking back before reading forward, Aubrey said, "I've always done that."

Ashley would have none of Aubrey's analysis: "It's stupid." 

I decided to have the last word: "I'm on team Aubrey." 

With that, other students responded in a chorus of independent readers. Some chanted, "Team Ashley." Others cheered, "Team Aubrey." 

Aubrey and Ashley "debate" the merits of reading back to front.
Colton and Savanna look  on and decide what team to join. 
The bell rang, and I reminded students to read. My fairy tale ending: "And all the students went merrily away and read happily ever after." THE END!

8 comments:

  1. I drive my husband crazy because I'm on team Aubrey. The suspense is too much sometimes. I'm entertained by their debate. What a fun way to naturally encourage reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take any credit for the debate. This was a conversation that happened spontaneously. Both Aubrey and Ashley were in my dual credit speech class last trimester, and they had to assert themselves in sharing their opinions.

      Delete
  2. I have a friend that always read the last page first, but she picked up a used book and had decided that she would not read the last page first. When she got to the last page, it was MISSING!!!! I still laugh out loud when I think of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny. I'll definitely share that story w/ my class. :-)

      Delete
  3. I have a friend that always read the last page first, but she picked up a used book and had decided that she would not read the last page first. When she got to the last page, it was MISSING!!!! I still laugh out loud when I think of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, have a dear friend who always reads the last page first…actually, she reads the first couple of pages and then reads the last page…and makes a decision whether to read what's in-between. I'd probably end up on Team Ashley, but I'm old enough to know - we get to read books in whatever way we want! Funny slice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Team Aubrey! Usually I do make it about half way through the book, but I like to know how it is going to end and look for the cookie crumb trail the author leaves along the way leading up to the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am team Ashley. As much as I would like to know the ending, I want to be surprised and keep predicting my way through a book. Sometimes, I wish I was more team Aubrey....

    ReplyDelete