Thursday, April 10, 2014

J: Just....#AtoZChallenge

Just drawing a _____________.

I've brainstormed ideas for the letter "J" and just can't think of a single idea about which to write. Among the possible post topics I've explored:

  • Justice: I've followed more celebrity trials than I care to admit. They seem to be the story d'jour on the morning news programs. Often I think: If there is any justice in the world....Of course, to attain real justice, the morning talking heads would talk about the discrepancies in our justice system: The number of African American men incarcerated in proportion to their demographic, the irony in Wall Street moguls' unjust trading practices while our prisons brim with the poor and minor drug offenders. The irony in those tasked with dispensing justice abusing that power, as the Department of Justice found is the case with the Albuquerque Police Department.  Nor have I forgotten the Justice clothing brand!
  • Just Write It: I also thought about riffing on the Nike logo: Just do it. Sometimes I put up a bulletin board with a Nike Swish and the line: Just Write It. I first used this twist on Nike's logo long before Facebook, where one can find a Just Write It page. Searching Google, I realized that Just Write It and its Just Write variation really isn't unique. I'll leave the bulletin board blogging to those who actually do bulletin boards. I've had the same ones all year. 
  • J-Word Poems: But I posted a poem yesterday, and all the fabulous Joy Harjo poems, such as "Eagle Poem" are too long.
  • J-Authors: John Green, of course comes to mind. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of his books, his Crash Course, his "Don't Forget to be Awesome" campaign. What high school teacher doesn't love John Green? Then there's Jane Austin. I've only written one post about her and it was a cursory one about imitating a writer's writing style. James Joyce, J. R. R. Tolken, Henry James, Samuel Johnson, Ben Johnson, Shirley Jackson, Sarah Orne Jewett, and many others. Generally, however, I try to use authors in lesson context or to support a topic/theme. 
  • J-Books: Too many to name. Those looking for a list can visit World Cat. 
  • J-Lo: On an education blog? I'll pass for now. 
  • Journey: More of an American Literature theme and a topic I've already written about in recent Frankenstein lessons. Also, a fabulous '80s rock band. 
  • Jaywalking: to cross the road in an illegal manner. Metaphorically speaking I do this often, especially when told how to teach English by those with no ethos. 
Just scratching my head trying to find a Letter J topic. Is it okay if I just go with my list of eight possibilities and punt this one with a genuine promise to do better by K

12 comments:

  1. In a few hours, my blog will post J words related to educating literary terms. Seems right up your alley. My theme this year was two literary terms a day and a way of linking them together. I've gotten great reviews.

    http://www.chrisvotey.com/writing/blog/category/a-to-z-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article was a little light on references to media. I mostly reference movies, tv, and animation.

    What point was I missing?

    I apologize if you felt I was only trying to plug my blog, I thought there was some commonality between our blogs, at least for this post you might find interest of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you didn't actually comment on my post in either of your comments.

      I'll answer the question about what you missed later, if that's okay. I don't want to explain what I hope are the nuances I attempted until I see wether or not others comment. Maybe no one else will. It happens.

      Delete
    2. To be fair, I didn't know how to respond to your post. If there is a hidden objective point to it, then yes, it was lost on me. It appears to me, that you didn't know what to post about so you posted a little of everything. Or you wanted to use words with J in it as many times as you could.

      But you're right, I didn't say anything about your posts. I'm sorry.

      Delete
    3. No worries. As I said, I'll explain later.

      Delete
  3. I had nothing... you have more than you thought...

    Thank you for being part of the "AtoZ Challenge", please stop on over to my site[s] and say "Hello"!
    Comment/Follow/Etc.

    Jeremy [Retro]
    AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2014]

    Old is the New Cool...
    [Being-Retro]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You got my point. I'm doing a happy dance.

      Delete
  4. I am with you on the celebrity justice and their trials and tribulations. I tend to turn the channel every time another news station mentions them. And what? J Lo? Educational blog? Nice J post btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! J-Lo surprised me when she sneaked into the post! ;-) Guess I was having an AI moment.

      Delete
    2. The list worked well. I don't think the A to Z police are going to ticket us for taking liberties with the concept. At lest I don't think they will....

      Delete
  5. Well you did well considering you drew a blank! Do your students read John Green books? I find my teenage clients all do and they love them -I've read one and can't wait to read more. Happy A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading your post -- interesting J topics.

    ReplyDelete