Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A: April is National Poetry Month #BloggingfromAtoZ (#1)


April is National Poetry Month! Most years I'm a little late to the poetry party but not this year. I've renewed my focus on poetry this year. It's my way of pushing back against a seemingly "one size fits all" paradigm of learning. 

To celebrate the beginning of National Poetry Month, I'd like to feature some student projects from the poetry unit I taught at the beginning of the trimester. Our focus was British Poetry from the Romantic, Victorian, and Modern Periods. 

As a culminating activity, students illuminated a poem. Many chose to use Prezi as a platform for their illuminations. Here is one  of my favorites:

video

To record the video above, I used Screencast O'Matic (the free version).

The complete lesson for this and my most recent poetry unit will be available soon on the Better Lesson website: ccbetterlesson.com as it is part of my work with the NEA BL Master Teacher Project. 

Here's a link to the curriculum I currently have live on the BL site. 

*I'm a day late to the Blogging from A to Z challenge. I just learned about it last night as I lay awake in my normal insomniac state. This is my first blogging challenge. I missed Slice of Life--maybe next year!

2 comments:

  1. Hello from a fellow A to Z participant. I'm a retired teacher. I have several English teacher friends but I am not one. I taught health, child development (My students taught at our on campus community preschool), on your own, etc. I am impressed with your poem project. I think you must be a very good teacher. I hope we get to know each other through our blogs.

    ReplyDelete