Thursday, February 27, 2014

"Catching Fire: Sparking Classroom Conversations and Active Listening": Northwest Regional NCTE Conference March 1-3, 2014

If you're headed to Portland for the Northwest Regional NCTE Conference this weekend, please join me, my colleague Debbie Greco, Ami Szereence, and Cherylann Schmidt on Saturday, March 1, 2014 from 1:00-3:15 for "Catching Fire: Sparking Classroom Conversations and Active Listening."



In my portion of the session, I'll focus on strategies for helping students develop listening and discussion skills. I have six activities planned, including a new one (Find Someone and Ask) that I learned from my fabulous student intern from Idaho State University. A detailed Google doc has thorough explanations of each lesson and includes student handouts, objectives, etc. Attendees will actually participate in several of these activities.

The other ladies on my team have added their materials to a shared Google doc, which also includes our planned presentation rotation. Ami has some unique twists on Socratic Seminar, Debbie will show attendees a close reading strategy those of us who have coached forensics use to teach students how to cut material for interpretation, and Cherylanne will offer the middle-school perspective in her use of I-Charts and other strategies.

We have a packed session planned and look forward to presenting together again, meeting new colleagues from around the country, and sharing some of our favorite listening and discussion strategies.

Maybe we'll even have a chance to visit Powell's City of Books, the world's largest bookstore. That alone is reason enough to travel to fabulous Portland. We hope you'll be there, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment