Monday, July 29, 2013

How We Read While Traveling

I'm posting this from my iPhone, so it will be short!

We are on the first leg of our vacation and have my granddaughter Kayla with us camping in Lake Tahoe. 

To pass the time driving, I haul along books in multiple formats: print, Kindle, iPad, and audiobooks I've downloaded onto my phone from SYNC's free audiobooks this summer. I also have last year's books on my laptop, which is also making the trip. 

For sheer listening pleasure, nothing tops "The Mysterious Howling: The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place." I imagine it might be on a reading ladder heading to "Jane Eyre." 

We laughed and howled our way down desolate US95, pausing for Kayla to write in her journal. 

The English teacher in me loves the way Woods introduces young readers to hyperbole, irony, and classical names from literature and history. This is "tricking students into learning" at it's best! The three incorrigibles, Alexander, Beowulf, and Cassiopeia, offer unconditional love to their governess, whose kindness is a reminder to parents and teachers alike that children, no matter how wild and "untamed" deserve humane nurturing. 

We finished book 1 last night as we lay in our tent. Kayla closed her eyes and said, " We didn't really finish the book because we didn't learn the secret." She's right, of course, so I imagine the ending is really just the beginning of yet another reading journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment