Sunday, March 3, 2013

When You Wish Upon a Wall: Wallwisher now Padlet:

I first discovered Wallwisher a few years ago and immediately started using it to promote whole-class discussions.

As with so many tech tools I've dabbled with, I forgot about Wallwisher and its fabulous, easy-to-use interface until last week when I received a notification that Wallwisher had reinvented itself and added a new name: Padlet.

I worried that I'd not be able to access either Wallwisher or Padlet as most certainly I'v forgotten my password. I always forget the ones I choose knowing I won't ever forget! Fortunately, I was able to login with my Google account and all my old walls greeted me like a virtual box of notes, cards, and letters filled with happy teaching moments.

One wall hi-lights ideas about Life of Pi by Yann Martel, which I also wrote about in my last post.




I love that Padlet allows students and teachers to embed videos, images, songs, etc. into a wall. It also offers a way to both label the wall with a topic and an essential question that invites students to "write on the wall."

The new Padlet, uses "streams," that can function as a back-channel for classroom discussions, collaborative writing, and presentations.

I also think Padlet could offer teachers a way to post class updates and reminders and embed the wall into a class blog or Tweet.

One way I plan to use Padlet this trimester in English 12B is as a template for planning the Senior Project Pecha Kucha presentation. I can also see Padlet as a cool tool for my speech students to create visual aides and to plan their speeches as the old version does have the feel of a graphic organizer.

One of the first ways I teach students to analyze poetry is by identifying imagery. Rather than using pencils and paper, I can easily adapt the assignment to Padlet.

This summer I'll be teaching Communication 1101 through the Upward Bound program at Idaho State University and will have excellent access to technology since I'll be teaching on the university's campus. I'm composing ideas on my mind's wall about the possible ways I can make learning and writing stylistic rhetorical devices more fun and relevant with Padlet.

I should go write on the wall so I don't have yet another lengthy memory lapse!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a cool tool, Glenda! I had heard the word wallwisher before, but never inquired about it. I'm going to try Padlet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a fun tool, Mardie, and it's so easy to use. I'm hoping it isn't blocked! The Facebook post today from a former student reminded me of this wall, too. And I love that the embedding actually allows one to both look at the entire wall by moving it around and add to it. Seems like that will make it even more versatile for class blogs, too.

      Delete