When I began contemplating using the 3P Grading Method, I worried about students gaming the system, getting others in my building on board with the plan, and making the computerized grade book work with it.
Students overwhelmingly loved the 3P Grading method, although many expressed having initial doubts in their reflections:
"The grading method was really good I liked it. At first I wasn't pretty sure about it, but it ended up being good." Lupita
"The 3P grading system is a great idea in letting us have a part in deciding our grade." Abbi
"I really like the 3P grading method, because it allows students to be honest with themselves and give the grade they think they deserve...." TannerOn his website, Steve Peha tells teachers to have students write a reflection about their grade at the end of the course. I set this up as an essay, instructing students to address participation, progress, and performance, the 3P's. Since I used the method in my speech classes and have students in all four grades (9-12), I reviewed some basic essay expectations.
Students impressed me with the honesty in their reflections as well as the awareness of their own learning. Since coming to class prepared and having work done on time fall into the participation category, which counts as 50% of a student's grade, many wrote about that aspect of their performance candidly.
- I think I deserve a B, because I didn't turn in my speeches on time and I didn't perform in front of the class a few times." Artemesa
- "I often volunteered to help pass out folders and keep time for speeches, along with helping the teacher in other wasy. I enthusiastically participated in group discussions and class time projects. Also, my assignments showed hard work and lots of time put into them. For example, i had detailed notes and speeches that were well prepared." Courtney
- "I think I earned about a B in participation...I think my grade could have been a bit higher if I hadn't missed as many days." Saria
- "I would say that my progress developed very nicely. I had more respect for my teacher and my peers...I learned now that I can talk on the same one subject for at least 7 minutes. And not only me, but also my teacher has noticed progress in my attitude and skills." Makayla
- "At the beginning of the year I was very scared to get up and talk in front of my classmates, and I could not meet the time limit. Now I can get up with no trouble at all and I have no problem meeting the time limit." Ben T.
- "I always like to be the best at everything I do, so progress is natural for me...From my paper bag speech, which I barely made the time limit, to my persuasive speech...I have felt like I have made leaps and bounds in my skill level of speaking." Mitch
- "My performance was a little messy sometimes, but I worked very hard to do well with getting up in front of the class.." Abbi
- "I have been hindered in my ability to speak well and have performed in articulation and volume poorly...I have learned that being better prepared is helpful in increasing my performance." Jeshua
- "However, in Performance I think I definitely deserve an F. Every speech I have gotten up to give has always been awkward and boring. ..[M]ost of my speeches have been just plain bad." Trystan