Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Flipped Language Arts Classroom


The Flipped Classroom

Today I received via Accomplished Teacher an article titled"How YouTube is Changing the Classroom,"which describes the innovative Flipped Classroom. For those who need a definition, a flipped classroom reverses the traditional teaching model in which a teacher presents a lesson in a whole-class setting, and students complete assignments at home. In the flip students watch short instructional videos at home and return to school for a workshop in which they complete projects and write papers. 
I watched part of the video about the five-paragraph essay and found myself succumbing to auditorium whiplash, but I did find the podcast interesting. 
I also found The Flipped Classroom Network Ning, devoted to promoting the flipped model and supporting teachers using it. 
I've long thought about how instructional videos and podcasting can help alleviate my own frustration from explaining and reteaching concepts to students who don't pay attention, who are chronically absent, who are in the kid clink down the hall, etc. And while I have created a few instructional videos, I'm far from accomplished. 
Moreover, I'm not much of a lecturer and don't want to adopt a lecture format to my teaching practice. Thus, I'd like to know who is using or has used the flipped classroom model, particularly in English. What advice do you have for novice flippers? What do you like about the flip? What doesn't work?

*The infographic offers an excellent explanation of a flipped classroom model:

Looking forward to your comments and advice. Thanks for reading.

**A slightly different version cross-posted on the English Companion Ning.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you posted this, because I too, am looking for info on flipping my English classroom. I found this because I was searching. It looks like it is pretty frontier pushing in the area of English. Perhaps we could share ideas? I've considered some of the issues I face: 1. I don't lecture much, so I'm unsure about what to make videos over, and 2. I'm nervous about how to integrate the self-pacing aspect. I DID read somewhere about not just using videos, but assigning students to look at photos or specific concepts on sites such as National Geographic (they have an excellent resource on the Salem Witch Trials which I use when teaching The Crucibe; it takes the students through an interactive site, where they make decisions about whether to confess or hang.).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here for a class on the flipped classroom done in our school, and it's pretty exciting. The book we read focused mostly on math/science, so we English teachers are out on our own. I'm considering making a video that takes kids through the steps of critical paper writing (I've gone through that song and dance 1 million plus times!), how to read a passage critically, some repetitive grammar points, etc. I'm pretty excited!

    ReplyDelete